Tuesday, July 6, 2010

the world cup

Orange is the color of the day. The Netherlands managed to hold off a pesky and talented Uraguay team and win their semi-final match, 3-2. Now they wait to see who they play against in the final for the world cup! Spain or Germany. No one can help it, but everyone hopes it's Germany.

Even my nephew, for whom sports is like Christmas to Scrooge, has caught a slight case of Orange fever. He will be watching the game on Sunbay, beer in hand, like a true and loyal Dutchman!

The best part of the whole world cup so far for me, apart from my national pride swelling in orange hues, was to hear sports pundits talking about how European futbal just does not have the energy or stay-with-it-ness of the South American power house teams -- but the Dutch beat Brazil, an old nemesis, and three of the four teams in the quarter finals are European. And now the final two will also be European. So much for pundits!

One last thing: GO ORANJE!!!!!!!!

And you all thought I was getting too serious,

1 comment:

  1. Antibiotics helps...

    My dear friend (who all so hapens to be my uncle) tells te world - or at least a smaller portion of it - that even I have caught a small infection of Orange fever. Well, perhaps in a moment of unclarity I might have said that if "our" team might end up playing the final, I might watch the game on television. Might... But do I realy want to? The answer - dear reader - is NO. To much I enjoy the fact that if the Dutch team is playing, the streets are allmost empty and the only human beings one sees, are women. No cars. No noise. Only woman. It makes the world so much niser. And me... I want to be a part of that world! I don´t want to be associated with the color orange. Not with the over 12 miljoen people who watch the game. The thousends who - at this moment - are packing their bags to go last minute to South Africa. The grazynes of all the orange gimmics for free when ones pays for his grozerys.
    Our country has become grazy. Infected whit a fever like every other four years. And worse, it has infected more people as the Pig Flu from Mexico ever could hope for.
    I´ve taken mine procotion. I´ve taken my antibiotics. And at Sunday July the 10th I hope to be part of a quit world where you hear nothing and only see women on the street. It´s a so much better world.

    Erik, the nephew.

    ReplyDelete