Saturday, August 22, 2020

At The Post Office

The other day, my granddaughter and I went down to pick up our mail. We live in a rural area and have to go to a post office box, about a mile from our home. Obeying the wishes of our governor and respecting the new rules for common courtesy and social distancing, we both donned our facial coverings before we went inside. A mask-less lady passing us said, “Oh, a new traitor to the Constitution!” I am not usually very quick or bold with a response, but I retorted, “Where in the Constitution does it say anything about wearing masks?” The conversation died there. At home, I looked it up. Indeed, the Constitution says nothing about masks or facial coverings of any kind. Or seat belts. Or wearing clothes in public. It does stipulate the government's duty to look out for the public welfare, and it also says that states have huge discretionary powers in matters that affect public safety. In fact, states have the right to impose quarantine and isolation and call upon the National Guard to address noncompliance. In face of a massive threat to the public health, an individual's rights may be temporarily suspended if those rights impose or imply a danger to the community. Masks seem to me to be an odd place to take a stand for civil liberties, a strange battle to pick. Even silly. I think of that lady and wish I had said, “Madam, you have every right to be stupid, but you infringe on my rights when your stupidity threatens my well being.” I had a similar experience two weeks before in WalMart, when a young man within earshot of his parents yelled at me, “Masks are dangerous!” I told him, “I'm wearing this to protect you, Sir. What are you doing to protect me?” If you really want a battle to fight and stand up for equal rights, speak out for the Postal Service. The Trump administration is trying to kill it. Millions of us depend on its efficient, timely and relatively inexpensive services. Many of us get our retirement and social security checks that way. I get my heart medications by mail. I also vote by mail and have done for decades. I suggest you pull the mask off Postmaster General DeJoy's motives and his family's interests in USPS competitors like UPS and J. B. Hunt Transport Services. Look what national attention has done so far: DeJoy has postponed all those suggested “cost-cutting measures” until after the November election. Next, the Service promised that there will be no delays for mail-in ballots after all. Can we be sure? Wear your own masks to the polling place when you cast your vote, or at least make sure your vote gets there.

No comments:

Post a Comment