Thursday, October 8, 2020

Changing the Channel

When I originally began writing my blogs, my intention was to write about art and entertainment. Politics inevitably crept in, a little like Freddy Krueger slipping into my dreams. But politics has not been very artful of late. It has been entertaining, in that I have felt compelled to watch, the way I find myself sitting down to finish Field of Dreams no matter what point in the film I walk into, or an episode of Masterpiece's Van der Valk to find out just who is behind a rash of violent crimes, how our troubled hero will cope, and just why he is so troubled. I am not a fan of Reality TV, and the last four years have been a long, continuous, 24-7-365 broadcast. Last night's debate was almost refreshing. Both vice presidential candidates were relatively polite and controlled. Neither one seemed able to keep their responses within time limits, but aside from that they did okay. In an environment of extremes all around, okay was just fine. And that's all I plan to say today. Since almost everyone who is planning to vote has already made their choices, I feel it is pointless to keep badgering you. I think I'd rather watch Field of Dreams, or a good murder mystery, wouldn't you? Or Hocus Pocus, It's almost Halloween! I do marvel at the lengths Jeff Goldblum went to in order to be the highlight of the debate. He was almost permanently stuck in Vice President Pence's hair, softly sreaming his mantra, “Help me! Help me!” Help us!

No comments:

Post a Comment