Thursday, September 17, 2026

September 17, 2026: Fighting Against the Down

 

I don’t write my blog as often as I used to, mainly because it has become hard to see the point. That is my failing. I am an optimistic fellow, who believes that people generally want to be good, and that kindness will bring that good out in them. But watching the news every day is depressing and infuriating. Seeing my country abandon its principles, its allies, and its own people is disheartening. Knowing that my blog will be read by a small handful of people who agree with me feels meaningless.

I apologize. I should do better, but most days my energy is spent on more benign pursuits.

That being said, I still pay attention. And I recognize my duty to continue to speak out. Today, my outrage over the strange attitude of our President has grown exponentially. It comes on many fronts. As interest rates climb to combat growing inflation, and gas prices soar because Iran still controls the Strait of Hormuz and now the Houthis are tying up the entrance to the Red Sea, Trump promises that prices are going to drop far and fast when peace is made, ignoring that peace is nowhere close to being made. Again, Trump chose this war and therefore is the one responsible for kicking the hornet’s nest. He also promised that Venezuelan crude oil reserves would lower oil prices, ignoring that Venezuela crude is much harder and costlier to refine, and no one seems to want to try.

It always fascinated and annoyed me that Trump blames our allies for not helping out against Iran, when he chose to follow Netanyahu’s lead and create chaos in the Middle East without first consulting those allies or his own people. It’s his mess. It’s our mess. Trump was stupid enough to think that the Iranian government would collapse on Day One, and we all are paying for that arrogant mistake.

Trump also has engaged in a trade war—again, of choice—against Canada. This has forced Canada to seek better relations with other trading partners, which should be no surprise. When the European Union invited Canada to become its first associate member, Trump’s response was more tariffs against the EU. He refuses to back down on his fixation on tariffs, despite his own Supreme Court putting the brakes on him, and despite most economists warning that high tariffs cause inflation and ultimately are paid for by the consumer.

I am proud to be an American. I am ashamed of our current government. The list of grievances against the Trump Administration continues to grow, but our government is not listening. They don’t care. They are making money on a level exponential to my outrage. In the bargain, they have jeopardized America’s position in the world for decades to come. Who can trust us? Who can trust us not to elect Don Junior twenty years from now?

To the world I say, Forgive us our stupidity, as we forgive those who are stupid among us. And to ,my fellow citizens, no matter what you think or how you feel, I say, VOTE! Tell the world who we really are, and then learn to live with the consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment