Thursday, December 1, 2011

British TV

The future of NBC's Prime Suspect is itself suspect. The show is facing cancelation after I think six episodes (I stopped watching after five). Once again, it goes to show that American adaptations of British television series rarely works. There are notable exceptions -- Sanford and Son, the Office come to mind -- but the failures are much more glaring and common. Coupling -- one of the funniest shows ever put together in Britain: need I say more?

This gets me to wondering: aren't there any American writers with new ideas anymore? Between so-called reality shows that don't need writers, to remakes of terrible shows from our past into feature length movies, to Brit TV fiascos, it sure looks that way. But I know differently. There are plenty of good ideas out there: my own book, Amber Waves, could supply the basis for a series that could run indefinitely -- if anyone were looking -- and provide interesting historical references along the way without getting too serious. Yes, it would be entertaining, if I do say so myself.

So Hollywood moguls, check out my tome on Kindle, and talk to me. I know this is shameless self-promotion, but look what HBO did with Rome, and Rome is only one of the places I would visit in my series.

Just don't beast it to death or miscast a Southern rebel to play the Scot.

No comments:

Post a Comment