Friday, January 23, 2015

The Edge of Distraction: DeflateGate


Blokker on Blokker and the Edge of Distraction I hear people say, “Life is hard.” It is, for some; indeed, for many. I can quote statistic after statistic about how hard life is, from varying points of view. I have in the past, and I will in the future. But I cannot say that life is hard for me. There have been difficult moments, but more accurately, life has been inconvenient at times. I have never gone to bed hungry, except by choice and a squirrelly diet plan entered into during my youth. I have never lived in a war zone or a disease hot house. I live in a society in which I am free to complain, at a time when theoretically my complaint could go viral. Life is hard, and I can observe that, sympathize with it, even empathize with it. My poet’s soul can scream at the pain others have felt. But at the same time I count my blessings, which are almost beyond counting. Does this mean I am not qualified to talk about war, poverty and disease, and related subjects like enslavement, terror, ignorance, apathy, and their opposites: peace, kindness, education, and involvement? Particularly after the attack on Charlie Hebdo and the Jewish delicatessen in Paris on January 7-9 of this year, which has subsequently galvanized much of Europe into participating in the so-called “War on Terror,” and the resultant increased suspicion of all things Muslim, I have to ask myself as a peaceful resident of Montana in the old Wild West, am I qualified? I have been given the opportunity to think, and the right to speak my mind – to report and interpret what I see. Silence is not an option. Yes: my eyes being open, I am qualified. I see the handwriting on the wall. I did not put it there. It is written in the languages of frustration, hardship, anger, and all too often hatred. It looks like prophesy, but it is not. It tells us what could be and reminds us of what should be. The languages are universal: anyone can read them. the wall surrounds us: anyone can find it. Most of us would rather live safely in the middle, among the herd. I like it there, too, but I live near the edge. But first comes the Super Bowl and DeflateGate Distraction. I’ll think about the world after the party. The world can get along without me for a week or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment