Friday, February 26, 2016

Happy Birthday to Me


Today I turn 66. It feels strange. I don't feel a day over 65. I studied my face in the mirror and noticed my “old man eyebrows” were back. You know – bushy and wild and sticking straight up parallel with my nose. Tamping them down only works temporarily. Age marks the spot. I am told that with age comes wisdom. I don't think so. I don't see any more wisdom among the people who are my age or older than in people significantly younger. Once in a while my grandson will startle me with something that is utterly wise and sounds well thought out, right before he asks me, “So what are we going to do now?” Maybe that's the key to wisdom, figuring out what you're going to do next. I read a book with the title, Old is 15 Years Older than You Are Now. By that score, I'm old to anyone 51 or younger. I'm ancient to someone like Xander. But my brother is old to me. There is some comfort in that, though he'll probably outlive me, but not if I can help it. Conventional wisdom aside, I plan to live forever. I have not been contradicted so far. The clock may be speeding up from my perspective, but it takes me much longer to get off the couch to check the time. That might be a yin and yang thing, I'm not sure. I do know the days go by quickly, but I get less done. But, then, why should I sweat it? What I get done I enjoy doing, and that may be the greatest wisdom of all, Excuse me for now. I have decisions to make. Do I have dinner or watch The Blacklist? Wisdom says, do both, but do something. I know: I'm gonna trim those eyebrows, tame them, civilize them. Anybody got a wire cutter?

No comments:

Post a Comment