Friday, October 12, 2012

Back in the Saddle

Hell, everyone! It's been a long while since I've written a blog. The cobwebs have settled in and it may take me a little bit of time to shake them off. No matter -- truth is, I have been having so much fun that I haven't had time to write, and not writing has not bothered me! I know, that seems to be a crazy idea, a writer who is not bothered by not writing, so not bothered, in fact, that he cannot seem to put a sentence together without so many negatives that it's not funny. Well, the writing itch is returning already, just one day since the last of our scheduled guests departed the homestead. I like the itch, and I like to scratch it. So much has happened over the last six or seven weeks that I don't know where to begin. There has been family visiting from Holland for whom we got to play tour guide especially in Glacier and Yellowstone. There was a magnificent and fun wedding down in Portland -- actually in a fantastc spot within the Columbia Gorge, and the drivin' drivin' drivin' we did to get there with a four and a half year old riding in the back seat. But I choose to begin with the most recent event. The cats came back! Anyone who knows us well knows that cats have been a part of our lives since, well, since we've had a life together, and for me before that. But when the maneur hit the oscillator and we found ourselves moving to Montana, cats could not come with us. Even though our cats all were geriatric or approaching it, we managed to place all but four in good homes when our dear friends Brenda and Bill volunteered to take on all four. One passed away before we left, and a second passed away while in their care. But Kevin and Jane remained with our friends since March 2011. We never expected that we would be in a position to take them back, but we found ourselves in a comfortable home actually larger than the one we left in Salinas. But getting the cats to us formed a major problem, until B and B decided to drive them all the way up to us! Which they did, arriving late Sunday night and staying until Thursday. Not only did the cats come back, but we got a warm, fuzzy, laugh-filled visit with two of our favorite people in the whole world. I am reminded that a man's riches are not measured in money, but in friendships. Even among the four-legged community.

No comments:

Post a Comment