Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Poem for April Third

APRIL THREE Once again into the breech, my friends! Language is what it is, but what it is, is forever changing. Writing it down is always a challenge and a joy. Playing with words and sounds and images makes me feel both alive and free. What does a writer do, and why? For most of us it is answering a creative urge that will not be silenced. Often it is also a way to discuss a subject or idea or feeling openly (though often clouded in symbolism and metaphor for the fun of it). No matter what the subject of the poem or story or article or novel might appear to be, this is the ultimate truth behind it: I write it for you, but it’s about me. I don’t mean to sound selfish, just honest. I write what I want to write, and each piece somehow reflects the person I think I am. I am sharing myself with you – my philosophy and my soul – with every word. All art is based on that inner need to create outward expressions. And all of us are artistic, creative in one way or another and most often more than one. So, once again into the breech, my friends! //TO YOU, MY GENTLE READER //My poems read quickly //Meanings hidden from view //might take a second look, //but that is up to you. //Though I don’t rhyme often //-- I find it hard, confined -- //Lib’ral arts and language //are being left behind //Poets, they die nightly //as they try to survive. //You each have the power //to keep this one alive. //Thank you, gentle reader, //for giving me the chance //to make you cry and smile //and join me in the dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment