Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy Birthday America!

Today is the 236th birthday of this great country. And though I sometimes disparage where we seem to be going, I have great admiration and respect for where we have been, and I always remind myself that it is because I am an American that I have the right to disparage. I also have the right to rejoice.

So Happy Birthday America!

Let us remember what our forefathers fought for:

Freedom of religion.
Equal rights for most (it's an ongoing, ever expanding equation; we're nearly there).
No representation without taxation.
Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness (keep in mind that just because you pursue happiness doesn't mean you attain it -- this is not a guarantee or an entitlement).
The right to have bare arms in public (although it took almost a century and a half for swimsuits to catch up).
The right to your own opinion.
The right to share your opinion.
The right not to listen to anyone's opinion
The right to scare animals and little children and keep early morning risers past their bedtime with explosive displays.
The right to pun, but only on Sundays and holidays.

IS THIS A GREAT COUNTRY OR WHAT??!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment